Regular communication with parents and guardians is one of the keys to student success at Glastonbury Public Schools. Resources such as our website, parent notification system, school newsletters, and PowerSchool grading portal enhance our ability to communicate in an effective and timely manner. We strive to provide quality communications that are consistent, efficient, effective, and both environmentally and budget friendly.
Below is an outline of the many communication methods that our school system employs. We have also included a list of steps parents and guardians can take to stay informed.
- School Report, a newsletter prepared by the Superintendent and Board of Education, is mailed to all Glastonbury residents quarterly.
- The GPS home page of our website contains district announcements, calendar items, and other resources. School closings and delays are also posted on the home page. From this home page you can access websites for each school, department, the Board of Education, a parents’ site, and even an “Ask the Superintendent” modified blog. All Board of Education meetings, agenda, minutes, and policies are posted on their site.
- The Parent Notification System is used to send home both emergency (phone and email) and routine (email only) district-wide information.
- Letters are mailed to parents/guardians and hard copy flyers are distributed occasionally as needed.
- Board of Education meetings are televised on Cox Cable Channel 16. The Town of Glastonbury also streams the meetings live (Public Broadcast Streaming Video) and posts videos of past meetings on their website (Public Broadcast Video on Demand).
- Local and regional media (The Glastonbury Citizen, Glastonbury Life, Hartford Courant, and sometimes the local television news) cover school system stories of interest.
- Parent Nights are scheduled at the beginning of each school year at each school.
- School orientations for parents of students entering kindergarten and the secondary schools are scheduled in the late winter/spring each year.
- School handbooks are updated annually and posted on each school’s website and the link is sent to parents and guardians annually.
- School newsletters for the elementary schools and Gideon Welles School are emailed as attachments during the first week of each month. Glastonbury High School and Smith Middle School email their newsletter as an attachment every other month. Those without email access can request hard copies be sent home. Newsletters include information on events, meetings, instruction, volunteer opportunities, as well as grade level, team, specials, health office, sports, and PTO/Parent Group news.
- School websites include school contact information, addresses, phone numbers, etc., calendars of events, announcements, school procedures, schedules, school handbooks, school profiles, and access to websites for the library, PTOs and parent groups, and for each teacher.
- The Parent Notification System is used to send home both emergency (phone, email, and text) and routine (email only) school information. PTOs and parent groups work closely with principals to communicate electronically as well. Those without email access can request that hard copies be sent home.
- Letters are mailed to parents/guardians and paper flyers are distributed occasionally as needed.
- School principals and school offices call parents directly when needed.
- Each teacher has a website which can be found by clicking on the “Staff Directory” of the school’s website. Teachers may post updated class news, events, homework assignments, and resources on their websites. Most teachers use online apps such as SeeSaw and Google Classroom. Students can log in to these online resources to access assignments, resources, etc.
- Secondary school students (Gideon Welles, Smith and GHS) and parents can access grades and attendance information through the PowerSchool Portal on the internet. Usernames and passwords are sent to each family. More information can be found on the district and school websites.
- Teachers occasionally send class information and updates via email and hard copy flyers.
- Elementary teacher conferences are scheduled twice per year. Secondary school teacher and counselor conferences are scheduled by request.
- Report cards are distributed throughout the year. Distribution dates can be found on the website.
- Teachers send individual notes, emails, and call parents directly when needed.
Parents and Guardians--What you can do to stay informed:
- Make sure you are registered with our Parent Notification System. Registration is part of our Student Information Update system. Identify which email addresses/phone numbers to use for only emergencies and which to use for routine information such as event information and newsletters.
- If you do not have access to email, request that all newsletters and notices be sent to you in hard copy form by completing “Request for Hard Copies” form and returning a copy to each child’s school.
- Email attachments are sent in “pdf” format whenever possible. If needed, download Adobe Reader, a free and universally accessible software program, from the internet to read “pdf” files on your computer.
- Familiarize yourself with the district, the school, and teacher websites. “Bookmark” them for easy access and visit them regularly.
- If your child attends Gideon Welles, Smith Middle School or Glastonbury High School, set up your account on the PowerSchool Portal to view grades and attendance information.
- Read your school newsletters and the district newsletters.
- Attend open houses, school orientations, and parent conferences.
- Attend PTO/Parent Group meetings.
- Follow Board of Education activities. Attendance at board meetings is welcome and encouraged. Board agenda/minutes are posted on the website. Meetings are aired on local television as well as live streamed and posted as videos. There is an opportunity for “public comment” at each meeting.
- Never hesitate to contact your child’s teacher or school office with questions and concerns.