Regular communication with parents and guardians is one of the keys to student success at Glastonbury Public Schools. Resources such as our Website, Parent Notification System, School Newsletters, and PowerSchool Grading Portal enhance our ability to communicate in an effective and timely manner. We strive as a school system to provide quality communications that are consistent, efficient, effective, and both environmentally and budget friendly. Below is an outline of the many communication methods that our school system employs, communications parents and guardians can expect to receive throughout the school year, and where to turn for information. Detailed communication plans for the district, including our Communications Framework, Communications Plan, and School-to-Home Communications Protocol, can be found on the Board of Education "Reports" page of the website.
- School Report, a newsletter prepared by the Superintendent and Board of Education, is mailed to all Glastonbury residents quarterly.
- The GPS home page of the web portal contains district announcements, calendar items, and other resources. School closings and delays are also posted on the home page. From this home page you can access websites for each school, department, the Board of Education, a parents’ site, and even an “Ask the Superintendent” modified blog. All Board of Education meetings, agenda, minutes, and policies are posted on their site.
- The Parent Notification System is used to send home both emergency (phone and email) and routine (email only) district-wide information. Contact information can be updated in our Online Student Information System.
- Letters are mailed to parents/guardians and hard copy flyers are distributed occasionally as needed.
- Board of Education meetings are televised on Cox Cable Channel 16. The Town of Glastonbury also streams the meetings live (Public Broadcast Streaming Video) and posts videos of past meetings on their website (Public Broadcast Video on Demand).
- Local and regional media (The Glastonbury Citizen, Glastonbury Reminder, Glastonbury Life, Hartford Courant, and sometimes the local television news) cover school system stories of interest.
- Parent Open House evenings are scheduled at the beginning of each school year at each school.
- School orientations for parents of students entering kindergarten and the secondary schools are scheduled in the late winter/spring each year.
- School handbooks are updated annually and posted on each school’s website. Hard copies are available upon request.
- School newsletters for the elementary schools and Gideon Welles School are emailed as attachments during the first week of each month. Glastonbury High School and Smith Middle School email their newsletter as an attachment every other month. Those without email access can request hard copies be sent home. Newsletters include information on events, meetings, instruction, volunteer opportunities, as well as grade level, team, specials, health office, sports, and PTO/Parent Group news.
- School websites include school contact information, addresses, phone numbers, etc., calendars of events, announcements, school procedures, schedules, school handbooks, school profiles, and access to websites for the library, PTOs and parent groups, and for each teacher.
- The Parent Notification System is used to send home both emergency (phone and email) and routine (email only) school information. PTOs and parent groups work closely with principals to communicate electronically as well. Those without email access can request that hard copies be sent home. Contact information can be updated in our Online Student Information System.
- Letters are mailed to parents/guardians and paper flyers are distributed occasionally as needed.
- School principals and school offices call parents directly when needed.
- Each teacher has a website which can be found by clicking on the “Staff Directory” of the school’s website. Teachers post updated class news, events, homework assignments, and resources on their websites.
- Secondary school students (Gideon Welles, Smith and GHS) and parents can access grades and attendance information through the PowerSchool Portal on the Internet. Usernames and passwords are mailed to each family. More information can be found on the district and school websites.
- Teachers occasionally send class information and updates via email and hard copy flyers.
- Elementary teacher conferences are scheduled twice per year. Secondary school teacher and counselor conferences are scheduled by request.
- Report cards and progress notes are distributed throughout the year. Distribution dates can be found on the website under the “Parents” button at the top of each school page.
- Teachers send individual notes, emails, and call parents directly when needed.